Outpatient Services (Seniors seen in the HOME)

Age Restrictions:

Patients birth to adult


The costs are typically covered under insurance following medical referral by a licensed physician under prescription. Prescriptions must indicate referral for oupatient physical, occupational, or speech therapy, NOT hippotherapy!  The use of the horse’s movement is an intervention tool only.

The prescription should say OUTPATIENT (PHYSICAL, OCCUPATIONAL OR SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY SERVICES) and have a diagnosis, with a frequency and duration.

Company information: We are listed under our corporation name for insurances

Brandywine Valley Consultants, Inc. d.b.a. Making Strides

NPI: 1013141134

Tax ID: 20-0957111


Scheduling and Payments:

  • To enroll, all riders must have current paperwork on file dated within 1 year
  • A valid email is required for communication
  • A prescription is required from your MD, DO or DMD indicating a diagnosis, frequency and duration for Outpatient Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy or Speech-Language Pathologist services. Prescriptions written for Hippotherapy or Horse will not be accepted.
  • Co-payments can be made online through PayPal, Square or by check or cash.
  • Riders may be denied a riding time if they have an outstanding balance from prior sessions.

Insurances accepted:

  • United Healthcare (UHC)
  • Anthem & Anthem CovaCare
  • Cigna
  • VA Community Care
    • Patient Centered Community Care (PCCC)
    • Veterans Choice Program (VCP)
  • CCC Plus Managed Care Program
    • Basic Concept of  CCC Plus is managed care, which means that instead of medical and other service providers contracting with Medicaid directly and billing Medicaid directly, each provider will have to go through one of six managed care organizations (MCOs) to enroll, get service authorization, and bill. These MCOs are usually for-profit insurance companies. The move toward managed care is part of a large and growing national trend to contain costs for Medicaid.
        • The 6 MCO’s administering the CCC Plus Waiver are:
          • United Healthcare
          • Anthem Health Keepers Plus
          • Optima Health
          • Magellan Complete Care of VA
          • AETNA Better Health of VA
          • Virginia Premier (OUT OF NETWORK)

      Detailed information about the program can be found at: https://thearcofnova.org/content/uploads/sites/6/2018/08/Commonwealth-Coordinated-Care-Handout-8.7.18.pdf

Missed Lessons:

Cancellations really hurt!  Making Strides of Virginia has staff, volunteers and horses ready for a session and no one to participate. Please help us respect the time of our volunteers and staff.  We do understand that unexpected medical conditions can affect our riders and, if that is the case, we will discuss tuition adjustments on an individual bass.  If Making Strides of Virginia cancels an appointment, we will notify you by phone as soon as we can and credit your account.  If you do not show up for a lesson and you do not call, you will be charged for the appointment.

Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech-Language Pathology Services

Making Strides offers physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services upon physician referral and prescription.

Referral should be written for OUTPATIENT (PHYSICAL, OCCUPATIONAL OR SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY SERVICES) with a diagnosis, frequency and duration.

Who Are Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants?

PHYSICAL THERAPY (PT)/PHYSIOTHERAPY; PHYSICAL THERAPIST (PT)/PHYSIOTHERAPIST: Physical Therapy is a skilled service provided by a licensed Physical Therapist to promote mobility and movement for people of all ages and all levels of function. Physical therapy services typically include customized treatment programs to improve one’s ability to be mobile, whether crawling, walking, running, or pursuing athletic activities, the goal is to achieve optimal independence in the patient’s chosen environment, in the most efficient and pain free means possible. The Physical Therapist may use handling skills, targeted strengthening, balance skills, sensory adaptation, adaptive equipment, treatment tools, modalities, modified environments and/or patient/caregiver education to decrease the activity or participation restriction identified by the patient.

PT is the state designation for physical therapists and only a state licensed physical therapist may use these credentials. There are educational degrees obtained by physical therapists that are used in conjunction with the state licensure designation of PT, such as the DPT (doctorate) or MPT (masters).

The term physiotherapist is more commonly used in Canada, Great Britain and other countries.

PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT (PTA): Physical therapist assistants provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of a licensed physical therapist. In most states, the PTA is licensed by a State Board.

Who Are Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants?

OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST (OT): Occupational therapy is a skilled service provided by a licensed Occupational Therapist aimed at enabling people of all ages to live life to its fullest. A full life means engagement in the activities that a person wants and needs to do, no matter what injury, illness, condition, disability, lifestyle, or environment stands in the way. Occupational therapy services typically include customized treatment programs to improve one’s ability to perform daily activities,
comprehensive home and job site evaluations with adaptation recommendations, performance skills assessments and treatment, adaptive equipment recommendations and usage training, and guidance to family members and caregivers. There are educational degrees obtained by Occupational Therapists
that are used in conjunction with the state licensure designation of OT, such as the MOT (masters) or OTD (doctorate).

ASSISTANT (COTA): Occupational therapy assistants help patients develop, recover, and improve the skills needed for daily living and working under the direction of licensed occupational therapists. The OTA/COTA is licensed by a State Board.

Who Are Speech-Language Pathologists and Speech Therapy Assistants?

SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY (SLP)/ SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST (SLP): Speech-Language Pathology is the service that a licensed Speech Language Pathologist provides to ensure that all people with speech, language and/or hearing disorders can communicate effectively. The speech-language pathologist is a medical professional who works to prevent, assess, diagnose and treat speech, language, social, cognitive, communication and swallowing disorders for people of all ages. They may use a variety of tools or strategies including addressing oral-motor, respiratory, cognitive, postural and social functions, augmentative means of communication, sensory adaptation and /or electronic equipment/hearing devices. There may be indications of varied levels of educational completion or licensing qualifications. Entry level requires a Masters or a Doctoral degree. There is the option for completion of a year long residency to earn a Certificate of Clinical Competency (CCC) through ASHA. Many states require a teaching certificate for SLPs to provide services in the school. Requirements vary by state.

SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST ASSISTANT (SLPA): Speech-language pathology assistants are support personnel who perform tasks prescribed, directed, and supervised by speech language pathologists. These individuals may or may not be required to hold a state licensure.